Tuesday, June 27, 2006

big leap into oblivion


The real world spells trouble for everyone in my vicinity that happens to be looking for it. But as often as this is the case, I join my fellows in congratulating them when they finish their studies and put them into practise so their forced distribution in functional activities are rewarded with a few menial appraisals that will score them one big leap into oblivion. The following article I found quite funny because from personal experience I know it's speaks the truth. It will go a long way in eliminating some of the negative aspects of the system before you lose yourself in your internship. I only wish I had read it sooner...

Internships are becoming more important as an entry point to the working world. Here are the top mistakes interns make, and how to avoid them. When companies come recruiting they can put on quite a show for starry-eyed undergrads, as Andrew Dill, a student attest. After potential interns are wined and dined with fancy meals and frequent follow-up phone calls, they start out thinking it'll be a 10-week carpet ride. But when the wooing ends and the work begins, interns may find the ride to be a bit bumpier than expected, especially for college students who are first-timers in the corporate world. -- read more

In training, they’ll mention the 'new-existing' system yet you’ll find it has been running the same way for years with little deviation beyond re-phrasing the manual. Being an intern myself working for the government we just love to hate most of the time, I find that it requires a lot more attention to setting commitments and better employee-interaction, especially if you want to extend your contract. All in all, it's a very, very good thing not to be deficient in your work if you’re looking for further moments of again... menial appraisal. What is very evident to me is that I need a cultural if not social change at any possible level because I honestly think that for the remainder of my time at justice I will be one those "sacred" things that will never change or be touched upon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home