Friday, January 27, 2006

superficial connections

Tonight there was blood. It’s left there because it’s proud of practising so much. It will make us better. This is the time of night when I used to feel amorous, now I feel as though my body has been run through a machine. Crushed for so long and so very thin. My skull bulges out somewhere off-center for your filling. I’m this dead tired. If I don't write when would I write at all? One could argue and win hands down that nothing is usually better than something. I become over-saturated

We interrelate differently within society circle. Already we can have everything we need delivered to our front door. We can stay positioned at home with our waterfall screen savers and chat with real or fictional beings. No longer do we need to brush our hair or even go outside. I remember when it was dawning the 21st century, lines and lines of people were standing and waiting to access the free online computers - so they could read, send emails, or whatever... We can’t live without it (internet) now. But is this a permanent trend in communicating or just another step in evolution… I know it has greatly improved my typing skills.

After several long and heavy-duty posts in a row (which I'm behind) I thought I'd take a break and post something short. Here's an excerpt from an old Wired interview with Cybrarian, Reva Basch:

WIRED: While living and interacting online warp our cognition and perhaps change the way we interact offline?

MS. BASCH: I notice it in particular when I read for pleasure. I just can't keep my eyes still. I have to remind myself to slow down and say "hey, you're reading for style, not content, stop browsing, start reading". It has an accelerating effect on life. At parties, I'll scan the people: "not interesting, not interesting...". Which is awful-- sort of looking over their shoulders for the next person who will add value. It's a terrible, terrible thing to do. And I'll tell you what else I've discovered-- I am less and less satisfied with superficial social connections. Online, you really get into serious discussions, perhaps because the software focuses you on one particular issue. I find that affects my relationships with offline friends, especially people I haven't seen for a while. There's a lack of depth and context and continuity in a lot of my face-to-face relationships. I think the whole quality of human interaction and language is changing.

I confess I've caught myself scanning during social occasions. What do you think? Is the nature of reading and communication in the Internet age changing the quality of human interaction and language? I need to get up early tomorrow. I’m doing a show. It’s a solo show about how we are misconfigured and unroutable. Before I finish, generally avoid probing this subject with too much depth, both for reasons of domestic tranquility and to avoid unnecessarily locking in to anything that doesn’t really belong. Otherwise, make yourself comfortable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home