Friday, January 20, 2006

locked into competing ideas

The other day I caught a cold, and as I promptly went home from work yesterday, I was futher devoured by a disturbing fever. With further progression into something more serious. What can I say, I’m enjoying it immensely? It remains undetermined as to what has caused the problem, but either way I missed out on work today and my hand in the meeting with the department of justice counsil of legal issues was rather spent with much time examining the craftsmanship of a grouting tiled bathroom floor.

Nearly obsolete in every way. I now find myself in one of those days. In my bedroom where there's both so much and so little that all I can do to just dole out the highlights of what may be the lowlights. So, my thoughts travel towards drivel aside from having to very well sit in the living room in front of another episode of Oprah to Dr. Phil with my mother just for the sake of company. More than anything else, I am chagrined.

I have not stepped foot outside due to my vulnerable state. Therefore, I'm still unable to rent "Lord of War". So, I've settled for the alternative. The Breakfast Club.

Generally, for other heavy topics to keep you sitting in your bedroom spinning, there’s the furor over intelligent design. The whole distortion of concepts such as pushing something that has no evidence, no proof and no scientific consensus, in this case, “sound science" is so remarkably stupid as to make my eyes water.

That said, when something as patently unscientific as 'intelligent design' makes the news today, at least it's for the right reasons: the Vatican's official paper today published an article "praising a U.S. court decision that rejects the 'intelligent design' theory as non-scientific". The article continues:

"Intelligent design does not belong to science and there is no justification for the demand it be taught as a scientific theory alongside the Darwinian explanation,"
Which brings to mind the recent offshoot controversy about a school district that intended to teach "ID" in a philosophy class. That class has since been cancelled, but the idea (though not the execution, in this instance) is not entirely unsound. Promoting discourse between such diametrically opposed concepts is what education should be about. Instead, we get locked into these competing ideas where neither side will give any ground except under court order. It's sad and shameful that our society is so polarized in just about everything, and especially all things political, that we can't simply discuss these ideas and even occasionally agree to disagree.

How cool is that for internet age eavesdrops on a inner monologue?

Pretty Bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home