Wednesday, November 23, 2005

continuum theory of theories

"The artist seeks to destroy the stability by which society lives, for the sake of drawing closer to the ideal. Society seeks stability, the artist, infinity."

So, my dear readers may be wondering... did the good things happen yet? Well, not quite yet, but things are generally on the upswing I think. We'll assume for now that bullshit posts are better than none.

I’ve learned from my evening retail job that quantity rips quality a new asshole. There you go. Ahem. Tuckered out from a continuum of busy days along with the day job at the office and needed hours of sleep, it leave me with little trust in my ability to distinguish between things, for example.

The demons are in my head and they say things like you write to much about yourself, and your shit ain’t all that great anyway. Your house is a mess, your sink is a mess, and your life is a mess. Oh but do the demons know all the right things to say. Last night I was worse than a trucker. I’m left feeling not sad, not actually happy either, which is the best time to talk about the demons. Hardly anyone at the office and that means that I get to do paperwork all day and guess what. Not much paperwork to do today.


"We sought for that unitary state of divine harmony, an existence in which only the sense of wonder remains, and all fear gone."

True Story. The other day I had a animated discussion with someone about an ancient evil kabuki mask that had came back to haunt me after I had destroyed it. Somehow my listener found the logic behind it questionable beyond reason. There are certain widely accepted beliefs at which I snub my nose, especially about the paranormal experience I've shared. No amount of discourse or formulae can convince me of their validity. I do not believe, and this has nothing to do with my religious beliefs which are next to nil, in the Big Bang Theory for example. And why should I? Hundreds of years go by with humans of a civilisation believing and basing their understanding of the physical world on a theory which is eventually decapitated in one fell swoop by some accidental discovery: A dream had while falling asleep on the toilet could do it.

The scientific process? More malarky. What happens is this: you have an idea first, and if you think it's a pretty cool idea, and if you have FAITH in it, you scrounge around for the magical numbers to build it. But it's all based on faith and imagination first, and the logic comes later. So we have these proofs of theories that we use, like electricity and radio waves and trips to the moon, but I imagine that if our understanding of math and physics had evolved by a different set of rules, we would have a whole different set of inventions and innovations governing our lives. It didn't HAVE to be this way.

Every scientific discovery, on top of giving us a building block for more theoretical structures, imposes limits and restrictions on our understanding. Take Gravity. It's almost impossible to imagine that we could exist as a post-industrial society without the notion of gravity, yet if the idea of gravity weren't around for so long, being a curious and imaginative species, we would have come up with a different discovery that would have been equally as important to the advancement of our technology. Maybe all our inventions would be based on Standard Particle Theory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home