Monday, October 03, 2005

somtimes i just want to throw up

I spent sometime with Sharon yesterday, I admit it: I’m a moody bastard... in bed. But you knew that already, didn’t you? I also have a sleeping problem. The problem is I dont really sleep. Thats not a problem if you always have projects to do and my latest current project involving the plight in Tibet. I also have a worthiness problem. Besides that, I’ve been struggling with the same depression, frustration, longing and confusion that plagues the entire modern world, but rather than whine about it here, I chose to try something different and sulk in the corner by myself for a little while. I’m feeling much better now, thanks, so let’s move on, shall we?

Not to knock the newest Governor General, although personally I feel having dinner with terrorists and toasting them is kind of, oh, say...a faux pas, but seriously...who writes her speeches? Now don't get yer' knickers in a knot, I'm not going to go slamming down on Ms. Jean. I rather like to think of her as Canada's own (and famous; all due to her media creme de-tele) Halle Barry look-alike. My issue today goes deeper than that. Two things really struck me about her speech the other day, I may be late on this one but listen. One was the fact that she refused to swear on a bible, 'cause, God knows that would be...unliberal. The second is an extension of the first, although in a slightly different way. From her speech:

There is an observation by Montesquieu, a philosopher of the Enlightenment, that has a particular resonance for me and I would like to share it with you. It states that “The duty of the citizen becomes a crime if it makes him forget the duty of the man.” To this, I would of course add “the duty of the woman,” because we want recognition as full-fledged citizens in our own right.
Was it really necessary to include that? This smacks of changing the part of the anthem where it says "In all thy Son's command" (frankly, I'm surprised they left any reference to God in there). Now, I agree with her in every aspect of what she said, and I'd call anyone who disagrees with her an idiot. But that statement just reeks of unnecessary politcal correctness. I'd like to think we live in an age where it's really not necessary to argue about women's rights anymore. A famous female playwright once said that arguing about the rights of women is like arguing about the rights of hurricanes. It's something that just really doesn't need to be done - anymore at least. I'd like to think so. I'm pretty sure we've come a long way in Canada from the last century. There are no more policymakers wondering how to stop women from getting the vote or trying to keep them in the kitchen and pregnant. I'd venture to say that our society favours women moreso than men in a lot of areas - take custody of children in divorce cases, for example (if you're female, you likely will!).

Women exclusive groups are seen as progressive.Take it for what it is. Obviously it goes without saying there are areas where equality between the sexes could improve - but man, I learned fifteen years ago when I was watching Care Bears that boys and girls can do a lot of things just as good as each other. All I'm saying is keep in mind it goes both ways - and that Political Correctness is just so much bullshit. Anyhow, good luck to Ms. Jean. Hey, at least she's giving up her French citizenship. Let's just hope she spends less than the Last GG. Ninteen Million Dollars is a lot more money than I've got.

Dahr Jamail's Iraq Dispatches is a website developed by a individual whom spent eight months working as an independent journalist in Iraq. He was one of the few journalists not “embedded” with U.S. forces, his reports earned a reputation for being an uncompromising look at life under occupation. I would recommend visiting his website, that is, if you're only as desensitized to violence as I am. It is rather graphic in nature.

As for in other news, I came across something this morning that I thought would interest some of you that are curious as to how lucrative war can be for those that produce hardware.

The US General Accounting Office, as quoted by Manufacturing & Technology News (See: U.S. Ammo Industry Can’t Keep Up, Sept. 1, 05), has calculated that since the invasion of Iraq in 2003, US forces have discharged more than 1.8 billion rounds of 5.56 mm ammunition. If US estimates regarding the size of the insurgency are accurate, approx. 20,000, that figure would equal 90,000 rounds per insurgent.

As Craig Murray, Britain’s former Ambassador to Uzbekistan, pointed out…

“This gives us an idea about the ineffectiveness of the American troops and the magnitude of their mistakes.”
One would naturally wonder, where are all of those bullets going? I remember sitting in my history class in highschool and hearing the teacher explain why war was good for the economy. Examples were given of Germany, when it had turned its dying economy around and started to slowly take over europe in the mid-late 1930s. Also, once the second world war had started, the economic slump of america wisked away as jobs where needed everywhere in the face of this global crisis.

Today guns fire faster, heavier, and factory workers have been replaced by robots. Jobs are contracted out, and out and out, and in the end, only a select few make any money. Also, the US debt is growing, making financial corporations smile along side military contractors.

Maybe war was good for the economy in the 1930s, but not today. Today its good for the people who have the least to lose.

I’m just thinking though, is if this continues, and greed surpases the wellness of the american and world economy (as it seems to have), could we wake up some day and find ourselves in one of the worst financial crises ever? Also, anyone seen Lord of War, seems like that movie is all about this topic. Any reviews?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home