Monday, October 17, 2005

convenience factor the newest addiction

Well, no one seemed to give a hoot that I went and saw debatably one of the best concerts of my life. I’m sure most people would rather be concerned with being frightened by the spooky or curious! Although my current mental capacity is barely capable of bloggercizing, I will do my certain best to put interesting say for you to see in order for reaction.

I’ve sent in my photos of Matt Good to none other than, Matt Good, and by comparison to some other fan based photography that I’ve seen (especially from the capital music hall show), mine appear to be mellow, other than that, all but trash (I blame zaphods lighting). Everybody please feel free to comment on the photographs on the Chairman of Rock, maybe even trysome of his music. To this day I have no idea as to what his cryptic comments refer.


left, right, left...1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3...


The other day, while walking downtown I counted the number of people that I saw walking. Keep in mind, I only live a seven minute walk from the office to nearest bus station, and it was a Friday. I counted 37 people. Does anyone want to take a guess as to how many of those people I saw either talking on or playing with a cellphone? 5? Higher. 10? Higher. 20? Higher. I saw 24 people doing just that very thing. For those of you keeping track, that's just under two-thirds of all the people I saw.

Earlier on in the week, I was in the city library studying in a "white noise room" or a room where you are allowed to talk and interact with people (just as I am now, actually), and I timed how long it was between cellphones ringing somewhere in a room that might have contained 15 people. The longest gap between cellphone rings was only 12 minutes. The average over a two-hour period? Roughly 3 minutes. 120 minutes, 40 cellphone rings. That's not even counting the people who were making outgoing calls.

I guess my point is that cellphones have turned into the newest addiction, the newest cigarette. I'm not going to sit here and say that the radiation from a cellphone causes brain cancer (although it hasn't been proven wrong) because that's just hearsay at this point, but I am going to say that many people do not need to use their cellphones that often. Yes, I understand the convenience factor involved with owning a cellphone, but you can't honestly tell me that two-thirds of people on their way to and from need to use their cellphones while walking. That's bull-shit.


Many people might wonder, why does this bother me? Am I jealous because I can't afford a cellphone? No, I can't afford one, true, but I also don't want or need one. My problem with cellphones is that most people use them in the same fashion as they use a New Era Yankees cap, or a pair of Nike Shoes, they use them to tell other people how important and cool they are. "Look at me, I'm talking on a cellphone, aren't I a social butterfly? Don't you want to be my friend? Let’s trade our fucking numbers like trading cards with chewy bubble gum" It all goes back to the fact that we (as a society) are attention-starved, we need to quench our thirst for social acceptance because our society suffers from an irreparable self-esteem problem.
My advice is, turn the damn cellphone off and try getting to know yourself and learning to love yourself. I'll use a Fight Club proverb about now....You are not your cellphone! Let us start afresh. No more spooky photos or drivel to scare off the company. Let me ask, what are you doing for Halloween?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home